- In a world where instant gratification is increasingly the norm, those of us who manage to free themselves from the chains of boredom will be among the few with both eyes open in a land of blinds.
- The ability to sustain boredom is a skill developed by the systematic deprivation of pleasure. The more you can keep yourself from giving in to the temptation of instant gratification, the weaker its’ hold on you will be, and eventually, you will come to realize that not giving in to the perks of the now is far more pleasurable. Alongside the productivity benefits, there is also the pride of self-mastery.
- You might find that by changing your surroundings, you also change your relationship with boredom. As old wisdom says, you are the average of your closest friends and this too applies to your ability to control the impulses that might lead you to regret. Spending time in an environment in which impulsivity is praised will make you more impulsive, just as the reverse is the case when you spend more time around disciplined people.
- Count the number of stimulants the attack your senses every minute of every hour, and commit to the day-by-day removal of one, until there are no more, and you can finally taste the feeling of true freedom.
- Boredom is not just the absence of stimuli, but sometimes the presence of a craving for it. So, it’s no wonder that the most counter-intuitive way to get over it, is to saturate oneself with that which one craves the most until the craving turns into disgust. If nothing else works, let this be your guide to peace, but remember to never do anything permanent, as those have a bad habit of outliving their welcome.
It is all about knowledge and experience 😉
Leave a comment below